Monday 23 February 2015

The Moment?

This weeks #YourEdustory challenge is; "What was the defining moment you decided to be a teacher?". Being that I was the one that decided on the topic, I thought it best that I actually write about it. 
Affirmation: "I believe in my ability to change the world with the work that I do."- Louise Hay
I remember when I was younger, standing in
my backyard with my younger brother and two younger sisters playing 'schools'. Of course, I was always the teacher; whether this was because I was the oldest or bossiest (or both) I don't know (I'll let my siblings answer this one). I used to love writing tasks to complete on my little portable chalkboard and loved telling my siblings how to spell certain words (and got cranky when they did it wrong). 
Teacher in the making (with the awesome '80's
spiky hair) and my 'students'/ siblings.
Fast forward to my final year of high school; I applied and was unsuccessful in gaining entry to a primary education degree at university. I was a little disheartened naturally; no one likes rejection. Thankfully it was short lived as I got a job working in a bank. It was good for a while but after almost 12 years I decided that I hated it. I really really hated it. Now, I know hate is a strong word but I truly felt as though what I was doing didn't matter. It didn't matter to me at all and I felt that what the bank stood for no longer resonated with me and it made me feel dirty. 

At the age of 30, I decided to re-apply to do my teaching degree and this time was successful. 5 years later, here I am doing what I love doing. 

So in answer to the initial question, there was no one defining moment. It was a longing that I have had my entire life and as I got older the desire became stronger and stronger until I could no longer ignore it. I feel fortunate enough that I have entered the profession with life experience behind me. Obviously, at 18 I wasn't ready to study again and join the ranks as I've long been a believer that everything happens for a reason.

I can now happily say that I don't feel like I am working when I go to work. If I put in a ten hour day it's because I enjoy it all. This makes me wonder, for anyone that reads this (not just teachers); Why do you do what you do?


2 comments:

  1. Dan, I had a very similar experience, right down to being the one who always had to be the teacher when we played school. I'm sure that my little brothers would tell you it was because I was the oldest and that I wasn't bossy at all. ;)

    Thanks for suggesting this topic. It has been fascinating to read people's replies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Nancy; I'm sure neither of us were bossy teachers as kids - hahaha.

    I suggested the topic because it is something people have asked me on numerous occasions when they know I had a previous career and are trying to understand the rationale behind the change. I have thought about my answer a lot.

    ReplyDelete